Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Baked Brownie

I’ve had a brownie craving for the past 2 weeks.  Coincidently, when we went to a family dinner last Sunday, we had brownies for dessert!  I scarfed it down much faster than I care to admit and yearned for more once it was done.  I was too embarrassed to ask for a slice to take home, thus starting my search for the perfect brownie.

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to brownies.  While I was researching, I learned several things. The first being that I had absolutely no idea that there are so many types/consistencies.  I’ve been in the dark for so long; it was overwhelming to choose what to make.  Should I make one that is similar to cake? Or fudge? Maybe one that is chewy, or has nuts, frosting ect…see, so many choices! When I was younger I loved all kinds, and never gave it much thought.  So after much deliberation, I chose this recipe.  And think I hit it spot on.

This brownie is everything I hoped for.  Rich in chocolatey flavor, dense in texture, a slight crackly crust…I think I’m in heaven.  Then again, could anyone go wrong with all that sugar, butter, eggs and chocolate?? I think not!! I really don’t have anything more to say except to try it…you won’t regret OR forget this decadent, fudgey-like brownie.










The Baked Brownie
Makes 24 brownies

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 72%), coarsely chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I used instant coffee)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass baking pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and cocoa powder until well combined and set aside.

Place the chocolate, butter and espresso powder in a large bowl and set over a pot or saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally, until the butter and chocolate are melted and smooth. Turn off heat, but keep the bowl over the water. Whisk in the sugars until well combined, then remove the bowl off the pot. The mixture should be at room temperature at this point, if not, allow to cool for a few more minutes.

Add 3 eggs into the chocolate mixture, whisk in well, but don’t overbeat (the mixture will be cakey if overbeaten). Add in the remaining 2 eggs and repeat. Stir in the vanilla.

Gradually fold in the flour by using a rubber spatula. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with just a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Cool completely, then cut into squares and serve. Brownies can be kept in an air tight container or tightly wrapped for up to 3 days.

3 comments:

  1. Excited to try this out. I need mine stronger...can I add ore espresso? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      I haven't tried adding more espresso, but I'm sure you could. I would suggest 1/2 tablespoon if not a little more to achieve the stronger flavour. Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog-it's great! I am bookmarking it for the future:)

      Delete
  2. Perfect timing! My daughter wants to take brownies to school for to share with her classmates for her birthday on Thursday!
    B

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios