Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Pumpkin Ice Cream with Pumpkin Caramel Sauce

Pumpkin Ice Cream with Pumpkin Caramel Sauce

I feel a bit nervous about posting.

It’s been so long since I’ve shared anything, and I’m feeling a mixture of guilt and sadness since I haven’t been able to dedicate any time to blogging. I feel that I was so obsessed with blogging for so long that I needed to take a break and focus on other aspects of my life.  It’s incredible to think of the time spent around blogging-and I want to be able to do it when I know I can enjoy cooking/photographing/editing/writing the post.  So let’s get down to it, k? 

As I’m sitting writing this post, I’m eating my second bowl of this ice cream.  I’ve only made ice cream once before, and this time I used my ice cream maker attachment that my dear friend had given me.  Let me tell you folks-it’s like fall in a bowl.  Seriously.  It’s super creamy, full of pumpkin flavor, subtly spiced and quite simple to make.  Although there is a bit of waiting and impatience involved, it’s well worth it. ESPECIALLY when you top it with pumpkin caramel sauce!!
Creamy Pumpkin Ice Cream with Pumpkin Caramel Sauce

INGREDIENTS
for the ice cream:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
4 egg yolks, whisked
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

for the caramel sauce:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
for the pumpkin ice cream:
In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat add the cream, sugar and honey. Stir the mixture until hot (not boiling) and remove it from the heat.

In a medium-sized heatproof bowl, whisk the eggs together.  Slowly whisk half the cream mixture into the eggs in a steady stream. Add the mixture back into the saucepan and whisk until combined. Place the pot back onto the stovetop over low heat and add the pumpkin puree and spices. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, stir constantly, then remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.

With your ice cream maker chilled as per manufacturer’s directions, prepare the ice cream until it appears thick, approximately 17-20 minutes. Scoop the mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for 4 hours prior to serving.

for the pumpkin caramel sauce:
In a large-sized saucepan over low to medium heat, spread the sugar in an even layer.  Watch it carefully. When it start to liquefy around the edges, use a silicone spatula and gently stir it towards the center. Continue to stir until all of the sugar is melted.

The caramel will start to turn a deep amber color. When it does, remove it from the heat. Whi in half the cream and use caution, as it will likely bubble up and steam. Stir until thoroughly combined, then whisk in the remaining cream and pumpkin, salt, cinnamon & vanilla.

Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to two weeks. You can rewarm the sauce if needed.

Source: Pumpkin Ice Cream adapted from Adventures in Cooking, Pumpkin Caramel Sauce via Cook Like a Champion

1 comment:

  1. Pumpkin Ice Cream is SO delicious.. and the fact that you made a pumpkin salted caramel sauce to top it with is just fabulous. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios