Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rustic Peach Tart

To be honest, when I first saw this recipe, I was under the impression that there was nothing special about it. I was hesitant to try it at first, as the recipe originally called for pears; which I love, but I've haven't really tried them in baking. Marlina and I had debated for several weeks on what our first post would be. Something that included peaches and cream (you know, to ‘keep it real’ with our blog name). We both wanted something special and spectacular, the kind of ‘loosen your belt’ recipe that you would adore. But, we settled for something light and rustic-looking, and I totally fell in love.

I wanted to spend some time with Marlina to make this recipe extra special for us; unfortunately due to our busy schedules, we have been unable to see each other. I started out with Brown Eyed Baker's pie dough (see her detailed method here, its a no fail recipe!) and separated the dough into two and refrigerated it for an hour. I picked out peaches that were fairly firm, fragrant, with no bruises. I did not peel the skin on the peaches, and did not notice any textural differences as a result The peaches do turn a darker color as they bake, but I prefer that as I think it adds to the feel of the tart.

When I took my first bite, I knew one of two things. One, I was in trouble; it was too good. Two-I would have to fight Gavin for it, and the cream that went with it. I was sure happy I made two so I wouldn't have to share! The flavors blended well together, much better than I expected. I loved the added crunch that the tart and the pecans gave, and how well the peach mixed with the raspberries. I can’t believe how wrong I was. This recipe is simple, but oh is it worth it.















Rustic Peach Tart
Yield one 14 inch tart or two 7 inch tarts

 INGREDIENTS
For the dough:
(Yield: dough a 9-inch tart, or two 8 inch tart)
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed

For the tart:
5 medium thinly sliced peaches
½ cup fresh raspberries
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup chopped pecans

 For the folded pastry:
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon white sugar
  
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

 For the Dough:
Combine the flour and the salt together and mix well. Add in the unsalted butter and mix with your fingers, until the texture is coarse and crumbly. Add in the ice water, mix until all the flour is combined and all the dough stick together. Divide dough into two, shape into a disk, wrap into plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour (for up to 2 days in the refrigerator).

 For the tart:
On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry in a 14 inch circle (I did two 7 inch circles). Transfer to a parchment paper-line baking sheet; set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the peaches and vanilla. Combine 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon, sprinkle over peach mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in the raspberries. Spoon over pastry to within 2 inches of edges; sprinkle with pecans. Fold edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered.

 For the folded pastry
Beat egg white and water, brush over folded pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Using parchment paper, slide tart onto wire wrack to cool.

Source: All Butter Pie Dough adapted from Martha Stewarts Baking Handbook, as seen on Brown Eyed Baker , Rustic Peach Tart adapted from: Taste of Home

1 comment:

  1. Helena... you have done such an awesome job. David thinks you need to be in BIZNESS girl! LOL I wish you every bit of fun filled joy in this. I am happy to be your very first responder. I also look forward to following what will come up next. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios