Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd

I love lemons.  I love using them in baking, (ie. my Lemon Blueberry Scones) and in cooking.  My friend Bobbi came into town last week, and surprised me with some Meyer Lemons.  I’ve never tried them before due to the fact that they are impossible to find in Northern BC, so if anyone knows where to get them-tell me!  I will forever be grateful. And let me tell you now, I am officially converted.  I didn’t know this before, but this citrus is a cross between a lemon and an orange.  They originate from China, where they are grown in garden pots as an ornamental tree-interesting right? I wonder if they would grow in BC...

It was difficult choosing a recipe that would do these lemons justice.  I've heard so much about them, I wanted to make good use of them.  I mulled it over for days what I should do with them, and finally decided to just go with it.  I made this curd to go with cheesecake bars (a recipe soon to be posted!) and have 3 lemons remaining.  I hope to share them with you, and soon.

Making the curd isn’t hard to make, but it does require a little time and patience.  I sat at my stove for 15-20 minutes and stirred away until it reached the right consistency.  It also thickens a little when it cools down.  It is a perfect addition to muffins, scones, or filling for cake. Or, you can eat it by the spoonful, like I did!

*Please excuse the horrible pictures, I will update when Bobbi comes back with more Meyer Lemons (hint..hint..)

















Meyer Lemon Curd
Makes approximately 2 cups

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
½ cup Meyer lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)
½ cup butter (1 stick) cubed
1 teaspoon grated Meyer lemon zest

DIRECTIONS
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the egg yolks and sugar over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and zest. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes thick, resembling sour cream, approximately 15-20 minutes.

Add in the cubed butter, stirring constantly, until it melts. The curd should be smooth.

Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cool, for up to 1-2 weeks.

Source: Meyer Lemon Curd from Sugarcrafter

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios