Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Double-Cranberry Crostini

I know cranberries are considered mainly for usage at Christmas and Thanksgiving, but I couldn't help but feel that with the way the weather has been, we may just get it.  I mean it was almost -5 over the past weekend!  Mother Nature seems slightly confused, and I really hope the weather improves soon.  Last year we had mainly rain...so the winter was fairly depressing.  We let the rain dictate our lives and didn't get out as much as we should have...NOT letting that happen this year!  Anyway, I figured it would be nice to try out a cranberry recipe, as I know it's something (well, for me anyway) that sits in the freezer all summer long awaiting to accompany the next turkey dinner.  I thought this would be great for a summer appetizer!

I made French Bread in anticipation to making this, I couldn't buy one from the store!  I used the bread the day after it was made, and it hardened a little but remained to have a soft inner layer.  It still tasted great!  I made the cranberry ginger chutney and actually loved how well the flavors worked together, and it paired nicely with the turkey (well, duh!)  Gavin thought that the cranberry was too overpowering, but I disagreed.  I'm not a huge cranberry fan and still loved it.  I suppose when you are making this you could reduce the amount of the chutney on the bread as to your liking and freeze the remainders for another use.  Overall though, I was very happy with this...Now just for the weather to improve! (It's looking like it might today!)


Double-Cranberry Crostini
Makes 30 servings

INGREDIENTS
For the Cranberry-Ginger Chutney:
1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons cranberry juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the Crostini:
1/3 cup dried cranberries
6 (3/4 cup) ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 16 ounce loaf baguette-style french bread
4 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey

DIRECTIONS
For the Cranberry-Ginger Chutney:
In a medium saucepan combine all the ingredients and cook over medium heat until the brown sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook, uncovered for 3-4 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool for 1 hour. Can be stored up to 1 week in the refrigerator

For the Crostini:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the dried cranberries and boiling water enough to cover. Stand for 15 minutes and drain well.

In a medium bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in drained cranberries, pecans, ginger and lime juice and set aside.

Cut the bread diagonally, approximately 1/2 inch slices. Place on a large baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the edges start to lightly brown. Cool.

Cut turkey into about 30 pieces to fit on the bread. Spread the bread slices with the cream cheese mixture. Top each slice with a piece of turkey. Spoon approximately 1/2-1 teaspoon of the chutney mixture on top of the turkey and serve!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I adore cranberries! :) The chutney sounds amazing. Everything about these crostinis sounds GREAT. Looking forward to trying this recipe out veggie style. *hehe* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-I can't wait to see what you do to make it 'veggie style'! The chutney is the best part:D

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios