Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012

Chai Tea: The Slow-Cooker Way

Chai Tea is another of my favorite drinks.  I remember the 1st time Marlina and I ordered it-we were in grade 9 and decided it was high time to splurge on this drink everyone talked about.  Truth to be told, we didn’t really care for it at first but eventually grew to love it.  So happy that our taste buds changed!

I really enjoyed this version of Chai.  I just love the complexity of the flavors-not too spicy (although a little too sweet for Gavin’s taste-I thought it was great!). Throughout the day I had this in my slow-cooker with the aromatic spices filling my house.  So intoxicating! I imagine it would be even better waking up to it.  I am looking forward to making it again next weekend-I have enough to last the week..horray!  I am also planning on adding this to our Christmas menu, and look forward to sharing it with my family.
















Chai Tea: The Slow Cooker Way
Serves 12 (just over 3 quarts)

INGREDIENTS
3 ½ ounces fresh gingerroot (peeled, thinly sliced)
25 whole cloves
15 cardamon pods, crushed
3 cinnamon sticks
3 whole peppercorns
3 ½ quarts water
8 individual black tea bags
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk *note-start with ¾ cup and adjust according to preference*

Cheesecloth

DIRECTIONS
In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, place the ginger, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon sticks and peppercorns on a cheesecloth folded for double thickness. Bring the corners of the cloth and die with string to form a bag. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Add the tea bags and steep for 3-5 minutes. Discard the tea bags and spice bags. Stir in the milk (again, start out with ¾ cup and adjust according to preference) and heat through. Serve warm.

*Note-I refrigerated mine and reheated when desired.

Source: slightly adapted from Taste of Homes’ Best Holiday Recipes 2011
 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh nice! You think I could make it a vanilla chai tea??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think so...that sounds delicious!

    Let me know if it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! I love that you can make a big batch of it in your slow cooker. I'll be making this for Christmas morning :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios