Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Friday, February 15, 2013

BBQ Veggie Joes

I am beginning to love my slow cooker.  I am slowly using it more and more over the past year and starting to trust it.  Horray!  This means that the possibilities are endless when it comes to menu planning for days that I am working.  I decided to make this vegetarian version of sloppy joes as when we were kids, my parents made it once in a blue moon and we always highly anticipated those nights.  I wanted to try a healthier version to start with as I have actually never made sloppy joes (and as I am writing this I am thinking to myself I need to fix this, and soon!).

I found that this recipe isn’t as appealing (scent wise) while it cooks, but it’s sure a tasty and healthy meal.  Gavin and I enjoyed these leftovers for many days-which, is always a plus in my books.  You can serve with a hotdog or hamburger bun and top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, celery…anything you like!















BBQ Veggie Joes
Makes 8 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS
2 carrots, chopped
2/3 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup uncooked regular brown rice
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
½ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (14.5) ounce vegetable broth
8 white button mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 (15) ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

8 hotdog or hamburger buns

Chopped tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, red onion slices, cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a 3 ½ or 4 quart slow cooker, combine the carrots, lentils, uncooked brown rice, onion, brown sugar, mustard, salt, garlic and cayenne pepper. Stir in vegetable broth.

Cover and cook on high heat for 3-3 ½ hours. Stir in the mushrooms, tomato sauce and vinegar. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes more.

Spoon over buns with assorted toppings.

Source: BHG Slow Cooker 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios