Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Friday, May 31, 2013

 Niçoise Salad Sandwiches

Happy Friday!

This month has passed by quickly, but not to my surprise.  I’ve been having a hard time fitting everything in lately-work has been crazy (unfortunately a part of this is my own fault for agreeing to do so much) and I don’t anticipate it to slow down until the end of July.  We’ve planted our flower gardens with perennials and our herb garden (I’m so in love with this already) is finished.  I’ve also joined a softball team so well…you get the idea.  I’m swamped!

I relish the days that I have off.   I generally try not to plan anything and spend it at home catching up-I love it!  I have time to regroup and relax, and more importantly-try out new recipes.  This one takes work but pays off big-time.  I’m not a huge fan of canned tuna but made the exception for this sandwich.  It's packed with loads of protein & veggies.  We both really enjoyed this sandwich.  It's probably best to eat it for lunch and not supper-I went to bed stuffed at 1000 (and we eat at 5!).  Have a great weekend everyone! 


Niçoise Salad Sandwiches
Makes 2 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS
For the Parsley Gremolata Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced finely
¼ teaspoon freshly shredded lemon peel
Sprinkle of salt & pepper

For the sandwich:
6 slices sourdough bread (or whole wheat), toasted
mayo
1 cup arugula or baby spinach
¼ cup thin green beans, trimmed
1 4.5 ounce pouch lemon-pepper marinated chunk tuna (or just squeeze lemon over regular tuna)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
¼ medium red onion, thingly sliced
Niçoise or Kalamata olives
1 hard cooked egg, sliced
  
DIRECTIONS
Place all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar and shake well. Set aside.

Spread mayo on the bread slices as desired. Arrange with arugula/baby spinach on bread, then top with green beans. Top with ½ of the tuna. Add another layer of bread.

Top slices of tomato, red onion, olives & egg slices on the layer of bread. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with another slice of bread. Cut each sandwhich stack in half and secure with a toothpick or skewer.

Source: slightly adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publications (Good & Fresh Summer 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios