Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cheesy Quinoa & Cauliflower Bake

My first experience with quinoa that I can remember is Marlina making this recipe.  It was a hit in our house and gone fast-too fast!  This was before quinoa became so popular.  I think what I most liked about it stands true to this day-it’s healthy & you can feel good about eating it.  Quinoa is definitely one of my favorite grains to work with-I love using it in salads or as a main dish. I love the vegetables added to this dish-I don’t eat a lot of cauliflower & leeks and the combination works out perfectly.  Plus the cheesy cheddar & dill flavor-you can’t beat thatJ Yum!  I’ll be sure to make this before I work-great leftovers & lunch!

P.S. Happy Canada Day! 

Looking for more great quinoa recipes?  You better try these ones out!
Cheesy Cauliflower & Quinoa Bake
Makes one 9X13 inch pan

INGREDIENTS
2 cups uncooked quinoa
2 ½ cup water

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly
½ cup garlic scapes, sliced thinly
1 onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, chopped coarsely

½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped coarsely
¼ cup fresh dill, cut finely
¾ cup green onion, cut finely
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 lemon, juiced

1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup feta, crumbled
¼ cup red star yeast

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9X13 baking dish.

In a small saucepan on high heat, bring the quinoa and water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.

In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, leeks & garlic scapes until slightly translucent. Add in the cauliflower, stir and cover, until the cauliflower  is slightly softened, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients-olives, dill, green onion, lemon juice, red star yeast, cheddar & feta cheese. Season with salt & pepper. Stir until well combined. Transfer to the 9X13 baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes. Serve hot.

Source: adapted from The Hollyhock Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. What a fun recipe. We've been using quinoa for more years than I care to remember, but I rarely do anything with it other than boil it up to accompany other dishes. I shall bookmark this and try it out - even though we have now finished all our scapes.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios