Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Eating Local: Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwiches

I try and get my food as local as possible.  I’m not perfect, and I do fail with this at times, but I’m starting to get into the habit of always having this on the back of my mind when I enter the grocery store. Small changes can make a big difference in the long run.

There’s nothing that makes me more giddy and excited when I can create a meal with fresh, local ingredients.  Northern BC has a short growing season so there’s a little bit of a challenge with that.  But, there’s even more of a challenge during the winter months.  I love supporting local restaurants, especially ones that use ingredients from local farmers.  My dad has been a huge donator of freshly grown veggies, eggs & chicken to this household.  We purchase our beef locally (& yearly) and enjoy the benefits year round.  Farming was important growing up and my parents continue to inspire me constantly.  I’m always learning from them!

What’s local might you ask? To me, I define it within 50 kilometers of where I live, but according to changes made in last year with the Canadian Food & Inspection Agency (CFIA), it’s 50 kilometers away from the province you reside in. So if I can’t go by my definition of local, I go according to the CFIA regulations, then anything within Canada after that..and, well, you get the idea. 

This sandwich is 83% local-meaning 5 out of the 6 ingredients come from Northern BC.  The gruyere cheese is not.  But, I was pretty pleased regardless.  Gavin and I ventured out to our local farmer’s market and purchased the two beautiful loaves of braided buttermilk bread from a wood fired bakery (Rustica Bakery) and bought some greens from one of the vendors (Small Potatoes Farms).  We had this for brunch and I couldn’t get over how beautiful it was-simple yet delicious and inspiring.  I had to snap some photos and loved the lighting that day.   I can’t wait to share more of these type recipes with you! 

What inspires you? What do you do to eat local, and what have you made?
Eating Local: Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS
4 slices bread, buttered if desired
1 cup leafy greens
4 ounces gruyere cheese, sliced thinly
½ pound back bacon, cooked (I cooked mine in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20  minutes on an aluminum lined baking pan)
4 eggs, cooked over easy
Pea shoots, for garnishing

DIRECTIONS
To make the sandwiches, place about ¼ cup of leafy greans on top of the bread slices. Top with gruyere slices, then with the back bacon,  the egg and garnish with pea shoots. Serve warm.

Source: Peaches & Cream

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful breakfast/brunch recipe. It is right on the spot and pleases everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These breakfast sandwiches far exceed any I have ever made. I definitely need to follow your delicious recipe, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios