Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Sunday, Oct. 27, 2013

Fall Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette

I know I’ve talked about fall a lot lately, but today it’s all about snow.  Seriously, it’s freaking cold outside, it might just snow any day now!  I guess this wouldn’t exactly surprise me, considering I live in Northern BC.  I just need to prepare myself mentally for the cold we are about to experience! 

So let’s talk salad.  Thanksgiving, Halloween….these festivities don’t help with the diets.  But this salad does.  I wanted something healthy and this salad does the trick.  I’ve never really made any salads with fruit in it, so I LOVED how this one turned out.  The mixture of fruit, veggies & quinoa really makes this salad attractive & charming. I usually get bored with salads but I can’t imagine it happening with this one.  I could eat it for lunch or dinner every day!

On another note, GAVIN BOUGHT ME A NEW CAMERA!! I am the proud owner of a Nikon D7100. *Beam!*:D.  I am already in love with it & I can’t wait to start posting pictures from it (still have a few posts with my old camera!).  Hope that everyone has a great weekend and enjoys the Halloween festivities!
Fall Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 ¼ cup water

8 cups mixed greens (I used a mixture of spinach & arugula)
1 pear, cored, sliced thinly
1 plum, cored, sliced thinly
½ cup cucumber, sliced
½ cup pomegranate arils
½ cup toasted pecans
¼ cup honey goat cheese

For the dressing:
1/3 cup pomegranate juice
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 garlic clove, freshly grated
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup olive oil

DIRECTIONS
In a small saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add in the quinoa, reduce temperature to low, cover with a lid & cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to coil slightly.

In a food processor or a blender, combine the pomegranate juice, vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Stream in the olive oil until the dressing comes together.  Store in the fridge for up to one week.

Toss the mixed greens with the dressing & divide into 4 plates, as well as the quinoa. Top with ¼ of the pear, plum, cucumber, pomegranate, pecans & goat cheese. Serve immediately.

Source: adapted from How Sweet It Is 

2 comments:

  1. I am so into pomegranates right now! They have officially replaced pumpkin! I can't wait to see all of the pics to come with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! I love how gorgeous they are-so beautiful! Thanks so much Mallory-I am definitely nervous with the new camera, but excited at the same time. It's a steep learning curve!!

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios