Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day + Oven Roasted Smoky Potatoes

Charlee (my older sister) and I at my dad's booth at our local farmers market.
Happy Earth Day!  It’s that time of year (although we should be doing it everyday!) to set goals in which we should evaluate ways to conserve the environment and save our beautiful planet.  There is always ways in which we could improve our methods to reduce consumption and waste, such as the use of reusable bags, composting, buying local/having your own garden, using less electricity, carpooling/walking, ect.  These are just a few ideas but the options are endless.

Sooo…what do you do to reduce waste?  My goals for this year is to have my own garden, buy more from our local farmers market, learn how to can, and lastly, make things from scratch such as broths, extracts, yogurt, ect.  I am still trying to reduce waste by not buying out-of season products that have extra packaging, though I have decreased the amount I buy significantly over the past 2 years.  We recycle routinely, compost, use reusable bags and I would rather walk than drive.  Gavin works for Fisheries and Oceans and educates children in elementary schools of the importance of sustainability.  I am constantly inspired by this and want to continue to improve in the future.


*Fishing with Gavin 2011 

So, with writing about Earth day, I wrote this post dedicated to my dad, who is another huge inspiration for me.

I am so lucky that my dad is a farmer.  It means I get fresh eggs and produce, often free (thank you!), and know where it comes from.  I really don’t think it gets any better than that.  I am extremely proud of the hard work he’s put into the farm since I was a child and how he and my mom always put good food on the table.  Of course I didn’t always share the same sentiments.  We used to help my dad out in the farm, for many hours, and sometimes he would leave us in some remote destination and pick us up when we were done.  He wouldn’t drive us to town unless we helped butcher chickens (seriously, I’m not even joking).  Though Marlina and I growled many times about this unfairness, and how Charlee always got off ‘scott free’, I like to think that it’s helped me appreciate the quality of local farming.  And how much I appreciate my dad for being who he is-a gruff, slightly mad, jean suited (aka the Canadian Tuxedo), small town-activist, yet an extremely caring and patient person.  I hope some of those things aren’t too hereditary…just kidding.  I do.

I have yet to grow a garden, but its coming, hopefully soon.  I can’t wait.  One day my dad dropped off a surplus of banana potatoes (I’m so lucky!) and so I’ve been using them as much as I can.  Unfortunately, I can’t keep up with the amount I have, so some of them are going to be planted (hurrah!).  I made these as a side for dinner the other night, and I LOVE them.  Slightly smoky, spicy and crunchy, these banana potatoes are perfect as a snack or as a side dish.











Oven Roasted Smoky Banana Potatoes

INGREDIENTS
5 banana potatoes, sliced thinly, diagonally and patted dry with a
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (can adjust accordingly to your tastes)
½ teaspoon smoked paprika (can adjust accordingly to your tastes)
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients together and mix until well combined. Place on a rimmed baking dish.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until desired texture is achieved. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.

Source: A Peaches & Cream Original :)

4 comments:

  1. Helena, your potatoes look delicious! What a great recipe and so simple, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek!!! I am so honoured you commented! I love your blog and visit it almost every day! The recipe is simple, but I love it:) Thank you soo much for stopping by!! :D

      Delete
  2. What fantastic goals for the upcoming year. I too want to have my own garden this spring/summer and learn how to make things from scratch. Homemade is always better! Love that your dad is a farmer! I love visiting farms! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney!!

      Unfortunately, I need to dig a hole in my backyard first to start the garden (when I finally get a day off)-I'm overwhelmed already, lol! My dad has already started, so I'm feeling behind:( If you plant anything let me know so we can share our successes/failures-yay! We have a small garden area for herbs from last year and they've produced a small amount of thyme already. Can't wait for the other herbs to start. I'm such a geek, lol! Our farm was a small hobby farm but we had plenty of animals growing up. I loved it and wish I can be successful this year!

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios