Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hot Apple Cider

Okay, so I THINK the snow has decided to stay-which means I can get started with winter-themed posts.  WIN!!!  I’m super excited, but then again, I always get excited when it comes to food.  So lame…maybe?? Maybe not.  I've had a lovely week off and spent some time baking.  Some recipes were successful, others not so-successful.  I can’t wait to share them with you!

I love apple cider, but I’ve only attempted once from scratch.   It didn’t turn out that great!!  Normally I would purchase the powdered kind which is the uber lazy way of doing things.  I figured using apple juice was a safe bet & seasoning it with spices.  I love star anise so I knew I had to add it-the rest of these spices are warm and comforting.  Great drink to heat you up during a freezing cold day!
Hot Spiced Apple Cider
Serves 2

INGREDIENTS
4 cups apple juice
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cloves, whole
2 star anise, whole
½ teaspoon orange zest
Pinch of ground all spice

DIRECTIONS
In a small saucepan add the apple juice & cinnamon sticks. Place the star anise, cloves, orange zest & all spice in a tea strainer. Place in saucepan. Alternatively, you can use double-thick cheesecloth approximately 6 inches and placing the spices in the center. Bring the corners together and secure with a string.

Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes & remove the tea strainer. Serve with additional cinnamon sticks, as necessary.

Source: adapted from BHG

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios