Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Monday, June 15, 2015

Triple Chocolate Cheesecake

It’s been incredibly difficult to sit down and make the time to write a post.  I think I’m going to try and aim for one post a week for the summer time.  I know it’s been MONTHS (I’m terribly sorry everyone!) since I’ve posted but that doesn’t mean I don’t think about food all the time!  Some things never will change.

Summer is fast approaching and I am pretty excited by this-weekends off all summer!  My friend Melissa moved away so I tried to spend as much time as possible with her before she left.  While I’m super saddened by the fact that she’s moved, she’s onto bigger and better things. So I can’t be too upset I guess!!  Softball season is also here so I’m always pretty excited about that-we play twice a week & it works out perfectly for me to go after work.  I’ve also been running but I don’t think I will meet my goal to run 22km…..I don’t think I’m quite built for that!!! Anyway, enough about what’s new with meJ

I made this cheesecake for Gavin’s dads birthday, which is also (coincidentally), Gavin’s half-birthday.  Brian loves chocolate so I thought this cheesecake would be perfect-I had picked it out months in advance.  However, when the day came to make it, I suddenly realized that I’ve only made a cheesecake once before in my entire life.  So, after a mini freak out, I sucked it up and baked.  It turned out way better than I had anticipated! Even though it cracked a little on the top, it was covered up by melted chocolate, sprinkles and berries.  There was one word that was described the cheesecake by all: decadent.  It was super dense but packed full of chocolate flavor.  The Oreo crust was thick and the cheesecake was sky-high-4 packages of cream cheese will make it that way!!!  Hahahah!!!
Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake
Makes one 9 inch cheesecake

INGREDIENTS
for the crust:
2 ½ cups oreo baking crumbs
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ unsalted butter, melted

for the filling:
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 250g packages cream cheese, at room temp
½ cup regular sour cream
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs

for the glaze:
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons corn syrup

topping ideas:
Fresh berries (I used strawberries, blackberries, blueberries & raspberries)
Chocolate shavings

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

for the crust:
Butter the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Wrap the springform pan with aluminum foil, making sure it comes over the top edge so the water from the water bath won’t leak in. Double wrap if necessary.

In a large bowl, using a fork, stir together the Oreo crumbs with ¼ cup sugar. Then, stir in the butter. Press the mixture onto bottom of the pan. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.

for the filling:
In a large saucepan of simmering water, set a heatproof bowl with the finely chopped chocolate and melt until smooth. Set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, place the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Scape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the sour cream, sugar, flour & vanilla. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, just until blended. Beat in cooled chocolate  and mix thoroughly, do not overbeat. Pour the mixture onto the chilled crust.

Place the wrapped springform pan in a shallow side roasting pan. Place in the center of the preheated oven. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come about 1 inch up side of the foil-wrapped springform pan. Bake until the filling is almost set when springform pan is jiggled, about 40-60 minutes.

Remove roasting pan to a rack. Run a knife around the inside of the springform pan to prevent cracking. Stand until water cools, approximately 30 minutes and remove pan from the water. Discard the foil and cool completely.

Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Once cooled, remove the cake from the pan.

for the glaze:
In a small saucepan of simmering water, set a heatproof bowl with the finely chopped chocolate and heavy cream. Melt until smooth and add the corn syrup.

Pour glaze over cake and spread. Garnish with berries.

Source: Chatelaine CAKES, CUPCAKES & CHOCOLATES Special Edition 2013

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible cake! Definitely perfect for Summer and for a special birthday. You definitely have got me wishing for a slice.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios