Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Baked Mushroom & Lentil Burger 

After a long 6 weeks without a computer…..I’m back:D!!  Gavin had attempted to fix my laptop (very unsuccessfully I might add) and so it’s been in the shop since then.   It’s a bit of a sore subject with him, so I won’t get into the details.  Nevertheless, it’s been such a long haul but I’m very happy to be back.  Nothing much new life-wise for me over here-I feel kind of boring, but that’s how life goes! 

In my 6 week absence, I’ve made LOTS of good food-these burgers being one of them!  They ended up on my meal planning list several times, and each time I got to perfect the recipe.  Score!

I love all kinds of burgers, especially ones that are vegetarian.  I’ve made a couple of them over the years and love having them in my repertoire. These burgers are packed with mushrooms, lentils & onions.  In all honesty, they do take a bit of work but they are sooo worth it (in my humble opinion).  It has a similar texture to a beef burger and are perfectly baked in the oven.  So flavorful!  I loaded these burgers up with lots of veggies and found that they left me quite full for hours.  Of course, if you were extremely hungry you could serve them with a salad and some fries (and maybe some beer?:))

Looking for more veggie burgers? Try my…
Baked Mushroom & Lentil Burgers
Makes 6 burgs’

INGREDIENTS
for the burger:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 (54ml) can of lentils, rinsed and drained, divided*
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon chili pepper

1/4 cup packed cilantro
½-¾ cup bread crumbs

recommended for your burger:
6 burger buns
Alfalfa sprouts
Avocado
Tomatoes
Spinach
Condiments of your choosing!

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the oil. Once heated, add in the onion & mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another few minutes.

In a food processor, pulse the mushroom/onion mixture, HALF the lentils, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and chili powder until well blended.

Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, mix in the remaining lentils, cilantro and bread crumbs.

Using ½ cup of the mixture, shape into patties and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture.

Bake the patties for 10 minutes. Using a metal spatula, carefully flip over the burgers. Bake for an additional 8 minutes, then add cheese and cook until melted.

Prepare the burgs, serve and enjoy!

Source: adapted from Port & Fin

1 comment:

  1. I definitely am craving a good veggie burger right now - it's been too long since I made one! Thanks for the inspiration, I have to make this for my vegetarian family this week.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios