Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Monday, February 23, 2015

Coconut Chicken & Vegetable Curry

It’s been just under a month since I last posted, but I’ve come back with something that I hope you will love as much as I do!

It’s been feeling SO much like spring lately, the roads are almost cleared, the sun is shining and the Nordic trails are still in good condition (I went for a ski the other day and the conditions were perfect!).  Life is SO good lately!  Gavin and I are beginning to run again, and it’s been so nice to get my feet on the pavement and go!  I’m not fast by any means, but it’s good to get out.   Gavin bought me a Fitbit Surge for Christmas-I’m loving it’s GPS qualities. I don’t have to carry my phone anymore while running! :D Do you have a Fitbit? PM me and we can be friends!

Here are a couple of pictures of what I’ve been up to lately-plenty of cross-country skiing, exploring and meeting the lovely Aimee from Simple Bites! 
 
Even though it’s been so beautiful & sunny outside, it’s still bloody cold.  I’m not entirely convinced that we are done with winter quite yet, which means that it’s perfectly acceptable to cook up warm & comforting dishes such as this.  This dish has been a favorite of mine for some time, and I love the addition of veggies for some additional texture and flavor.  The spices blend so well together and make the sauce so smooth but has a hint of heat at the end.  It’s great served with basmati rice, and will surely warm you up in no time!
Coconut Chicken & Vegetable Curry
Makes 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1.5 pound chicken breast, sliced into pieces
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoon each of garlic and ginger, minced finely
2 bay leaves
2 tomatoes, pureed
2 cans (400ml) coconut milk (not light!)
1 large russet potato, cut into small cubes
1 can (398ml) baby corn, chopped
1 can (227ml) water chestnuts
1 red and yellow pepper, sliced thinly
3 cups baby bok choy, sliced

spice mixture:
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon turmeric
¾ teaspoon chili flakes

Cilantro or green onions, to garnish
Basmati rice, to serve

INSTRUCTIONS
In a heavy bottom saucepan or a wok (preferably), heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken pieces and cook until the center is no longer pink.  Add in the onion and spice mixture. Cook until slightly softened, then stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.

Add the pureed tomatoes, coconut milk, bay leaves and the russet potato. Increase the heat to high until it starts to boil then reduce heat immediately to medium and allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the russet potato is softened.

Next, add in the red and yellow peppers; along with the baby corn, water chestnuts and baby bok choy and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the veggies reach their desired doneness.

Garnish with cilantro and/or green onions. Serve with basmati rice + enjoy.

Source: adapted from Sinfully Spicy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios