Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Whole-Wheat Raspberry Ricotta Scones

Scones are such a versatile treat.  I am always amazed at the variations that other’s come up with, and just how well they work being savory or sweet.  Yep, I’ve tried both kinds and still can’t determine what I like best.  I think it just depends on what you’re in the mood for/what the occasion is.  Because scones are so yummy regardless of what you put in it.  Strangely enough, they aren’t something Gavin enjoys, so I am left with them all (lucky me!).

I’ve fantasized about making these scones for quite some time now but I felt that something was missing.  Alas, I finally figured it out.  Chocolate!  My inner anti-chocoholic tries to prevent me from adding it to everything (and I mean everything), but I ignored her and went with it anyway.  I love raspberries and chocolate!  I could pretty much survive off of them if I had the choice, but I suspect I wouldn’t last long (essential nutrients and all that jazz).  Anyway, these scones are ridiculously moist and tasty.  I’ve already had my fair share and froze the rest (Though I suspect this won’t last long. The freezer is only a slight obstacle). Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!


















Whole-Wheat Raspberry Ricotta Scones
Makes 8 scones

INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 cup fresh raspberries
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
¾ whole-milk ricotta
1/3 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

With a large bowl, whisk in the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Cut in the butter with a fork (or pastry blender) into the flour mixture until the butter is about the size of small peas. Toss in the raspberries and use a fork to break them into small sized chunks. Stir in the chopped chocolate.

With a spatula, stir in the ricotta and heavy cream to the butter mixture to form a dough. With your hands, knead gently into an even mass in the bottom of the bowl. Transfer to a well-floured surface, then flour the top of the dough and pat into a 7 inch square approximately 1 inch high. Cut into 8 even squares.

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Source: Slightly adapted from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make a batch of these for my parents for Valentine's Day as a gift. They love scones! And these could not be more perfect for Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios